Promise me you will always remember; you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - A.A. Milne from Winnie the Pooh
Every professional at Breakwater Associates has training and experience in the many facets of Autism Spectrum Disorder. They work together as a team to support individuals and their families from diagnosis through intervention.
Breakwater Associates offers the following Autism Support Services:
To determine the presence of an Autism Spectrum Disorder, according to best practice, our autism evaluation consists of the following:
- Two-hour Structured Interview using a research-based instrument, such as the Monteiro Interview Guidelines for Diagnosing Asperger’s Syndrome (MIGDAS); conducted by a team of professionals including two Licensed Psychoeducational Specialists/Certified School Psychologists, a Licensed Professional Counselor, and a Licensed Speech and Language Pathologist
- One-hour School Observation of student in both a structured and unstructured activity
- Autism Spectrum Disorder, Social/Emotional/Behavioral, and Communication rating instruments completed by parents and teachers
- Comprehensive Speech and Language evaluation, with a focus on supralinguistic and pragmatic language skills
- Breakwater Associates professional team meeting to evaluate all data through the research-based Childhood Autism Rating Scale, Second Edition (CARS-2)
- Consultation with other professionals outside Breakwater Associates involved with the care and support of the child/adolescent
- Speech and Language Therapy – to improve pragmatic language (social communication), articulation, voice, receptive and expressive language, and social skills
- CBT Therapy – to reduce anxiety and impulsive behavior, improve executive functioning skills, regulate emotions, develop stronger social skills, and help develop “Theory of Mind”.
- Reading Intervention through Orton-Gillingham trained and certified reading specialists
- Reading Comprehension Instruction through the Visualizing and Verbalizing program by Lindamood-Bell- to improve both oral and written comprehension
Parent Advocacy and Homeschooling Support
Parent support and advocacy with 504, IEP’s, and other issues.