If your child or adolescent is struggling academically, simply providing help with their homework may not be enough. Breakwater Associates offers targeted academic intervention to strengthen basic academic foundations.
Depending on the needs of your child, he may need intervention in the following basic academic foundations:
- Phonemic awareness – ability to identify, isolate, manipulate, blend, and segment the sounds of spoken words
- Phonics (knowledge of the alphabetic code) – the understanding that there are systematic and predictable relationships between written letters and spoken sounds (phonics) and the ability to apply this knowledge to the decoding (reading) and encoding (spelling) of words
- Foundation in the structure of the English language: Rules of syllabication and the ability to apply these rules to the decoding and spelling of words, morphology (meaning of words or word parts), grammar to support reading comprehension and written expression
- Orthographic Awareness – the ability to retain the way words look in print so they can read and written fluently
- Concept imagery for the understanding of “the big picture” in oral and written language comprehension – (i.e., main idea, inferencing, gathering from context)
- Reading comprehension strategies
- Understanding of basic math concepts, automaticity of math facts, and math calculation skills
Tutors at Breakwater Associates provide instruction that is based on current scientific research that supports how the brain learns best. They provide instruction that is direct, individualized, systematic, multi-sensory, and evidence-based. Breakwater’s approach is prescriptive, in that we closely monitor progress and tailor instruction to the specific needs of each individual. Our tutors work closely with our two Licensed Psychoeducational Specialists (SC Certified School Psychologists), Licensed Speech and Language Therapist, and a Licensed Professional Counselor.
According to the needs of your child, we may use the following methods, programs, and materials:
- S.P.I.R.E. ®
- Wilson Reading System ®
- The Writing Road to Reading ®
- Saxon Phonics ®
- Phonics Pathways ®
- Visualizing and Verbalizing by Lindamood-Bell ®
- Seeing Stars by Lindamood-Bell ®
- Megawords ®
- Handwriting without Tears ®
- Cuisenaire Rods ®
- “Hands-on” math manipulatives and games
With the right type of intervention, through a tutor who uses the right type of instruction, your child can experience significant improvement in his academic skills, gain confidence in his abilities, and become more successful in school.
*We can strengthen prereading/reading skills in students ranging from preschool age to college.